The University Grants Commission (UGC) has identified and posted on its official website, a list of twenty one institutions in nine states of India, which are functioning against the provisions of the UGC Act, 1956. All these institutions have been declared as fake and these institutes have no right to confer or grant degrees.
According to Section 22(1) of the UGC Act, only universities that are established by an Act of Parliament or the State Legislature or an institution deemed to be a university or an institution especially empowered by an Act of the Parliament can award degrees. The degrees that are to be awarded by such universities should also be listed by the UGC under Section 22(3) of the UGC Act, 1956. Furthermore, the word University can't be used by any institution other than a university established by or under a Central or a State Act or a Provincial Act.
The following 21 universities have been found to flout the UGC act and have been declared as fake universities:
• Maithili University/Vishwavidyalaya, Darbhanga, Bihar
• Commercial University Ltd., Daryaganj, Delhi
• United Nations University, Delhi
• Vocational University, Delhi
• ADR-Centric Juridical University, Delhi
• Indian Institute of Science and Engineering, New Delhi
• Badaganvi Sarkar World Open University Education Society, Gokak, Belgaum
• St. John's University, Kishanattam
• Keserwani Vidyapith, Jabalpur
• Raja Arabic University, Nagpur
• D.D.B. Sanskrit University, Putur, Trichi, Tamil Nadu.
• Indian Institute of Alternative Medicine, Kolkata
• Varanaseya Sanskrit Vishwavidyalaya, Varanasi
• Mahila Gram Vidyapith/Vishwavidyalaya, (Women's University) Prayag, Allahabad
• Gandhi Hindi Vidyapith, Prayag, Allahabad
• National University of Electro Complex Homeopathy, Kanpur
• Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose University (Open University), Achaltal, Aligarh
• Uttar Pradesh Vishwavidyalaya, Kosi Kalan, Mathura
• Maharana Pratap Shiksha Niketan Vishwavidyalaya, Pratapgarh (UP)
• Indraprastha Shiksha Parishad, Institutional Area, Khoda, Makanpur, Noida
• Gurukul Vishwavidyalaya ,Vrindavan, Mathura, (UP)
The UGC has advised students against pursuing higher education courses at any of the above mentioned institutions.