This year, 80 % of the post graduate seats at Lucknow University will be reserved for its undergraduate students seeking admission to post-graduate courses. As per sources, earlier, the former Vice-Chancellor GB Pattanaik had scrapped this measure with an idea of attracting the best of talent from across the country.
The post-graduate admission procedure at Lucknow University is likely to commence from June 15, 201. During the PG course admissions 80% of the total seats will be for the applicants from within the campus while only 20% students from other universities will have a chance to apply.
However, the Admission committee officials have informed that admission criteria for PG courses will be similar as for UG courses. It is expected that the admission process would begin slightly early this year. During last year admissions, the university began the sale of application form from July 1. However, before that the university officials are yet to take a final stand on 67 courses. Last year majorly diploma and certificate courses, suspended due to insufficient number of students applying for the admissions.
Sources have informed that a committee under the leadership of A K Sengupta is reportedly working on the possibility to re-introduce these courses. It is expected that the committee that comprises deans of all faculties will submit a report in the first week of June. Mr Sengupta has said that the committee will also recommend measures to improve the quality of the programmes so as to make it more employable, useful and to meet societal needs. However, the committee was to submit the report on May 18, 2013.
Furthermore, according to the admission officials the information has been collected by the respective departments to finalize the list of courses for the academic session 2013-14. An official has added that the final dates for admissions to PG courses will be announced shortly.
The Eligibility Rules for Admissions to PG Courses
1. Candidate should have 45% marks in graduation. For, SC/ST candidates, pass percentage is 40%
2. Of the total number of seats in any subject, 80% candidates passing the graduate examination from Lucknow University shall be admitted
3. Only 20% seats will be reserved for candidates of other universities. In case seats remain vacant, it will be filled with the graduates of Lucknow University in order of merit
4. Candidates choice of subject in MA, MSc, MCom shall be restricted to one of the subjects taken in part-III examination for the bachelor's degree.
5. Candidates obtaining 55% or more marks at graduate or qualifying examination will be entitled to get admission in other subjects not studied at graduate level. However, admissions of such candidates in any subject shall not exceed 10% of the total seats.
6. Candidates can't pursue two PG courses simultaneously.
7. Candidates who have already completed PG in one subject will not be eligible for the second PG course. But he/she is eligible for any professional course.
8. University can suspend any course if there is insufficient number of students. In self-finance courses, minimum of 40% seats should be filled in each subject to run the course